Thursday, November 19, 2009

Project 1: Focal Length and angle of view




This exercise was designed to help us find the "standard" focal length for my camera.  As my Nikon D300 has a multiplier of 1.5 times focal length my initial thought was that the standard for this camera would be:

1.5 x 50 = 75mm

However in doing the exercise I found that for the standard length was around 55mm.  This was very surprising as it seems I was completely off the mark with my earlier assumption.  I actually went back and did the exercise for a second time on a different subject to check my results.

I ended up taking three photographs, at 18mm, 55mm and 200mm.  After printing on A4 paper, I then measured the distance that each image had to be held in order to appear the same size as my view.

The results were as follows:

18mm ->  ca. 6cm - too close to really focus on the paper!

55mm -> ca. 70cm - This was basically just less than arms length.

200mm -> ca. 160cm - only possible with the help of my wife as my arms don't reach that far!

No comments:

Post a Comment