Saturday, November 21, 2009

Final thoughts on shooting movement

I found this exercise made me examine how I looked at images and how I viewed the subject within the image.  Having tack sharp images seemed to be preferable

The two approaches both offer levels of creativity that I hadn't really thought about before.

Shooting from the camera in a fixed position and letting the subject move through the frame for me, was the more creative way to shoot.  If I had been asked before undertaking this exercise what I expected my preferred image to be, I would have picked number 4.  However having  reviewed all the images I think that my favourite is number 7.  This image surprised me as normally I don't like images where the subject is out of focus.  But here I found myself imagining that he is stepping through to another dimension.









When asked to pick my favourite for the panning shots, I gain found myself challenging my preconceptions as to what I though I would prefer.  This is image 4, shot at 1/15 second and I feel is the best at displaying the guard walking across the image.  There is a compromise within the image in the fact that his head is not as in focus as it could be.  I know that my panning technique could use some work and feel that with practice the image would improve.










These were the last two exercises in the introductory part of the course, and I am looking forward to getting in Part 1. 

Although I knew what depth of field, aperture and shutter speed do on the camera, these exercises were extremely worthwhile for me as it forced me to examine how they affect the image and I feel that my photography will only improve as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment