Saturday, April 16, 2011

Excercise: Cropping

The photos that I chose for this exercise were taken a couple of years ago when my wife and I were on safari in Tanzania.



This first image was taken in the Serngeti National Park.  We were very fortunate to come across these cheetahs.  They were resting on this mound, which although only a few feet high was the highest point in that area!  They were about 50-60 feet away and I was at the maximum my zoom lens would allow.




I wanted to get a much closer shot of these magnificent animals and the only way to do that was to crop the image which gave the effect of bringing them closer.  This also cut out all of the empty space that I though was distracting in this image.


It was early one morning when we came across a lioness and her cubs walking about.  We watched them for about half an hour and eventually the cubs settled in this area that provided safe cover.  This little guy seemed to pose for me because he sat down, let me take my shots and them lay down in the grass and disappeared.


Once I was able to process the image I felt that having the cub in the middle of the photo seemed unbalanced given the situation.  He seems to be looking out towards past the left shoulder of the viewer and so it seemed more natural that he should be place towards the right hand side of the photo.


This photo was taken again at the maximum zoom I could get - this is a Little Bee Eater and was taken in Lake Manyara National Park in Tanzania.


I had already tried to place the subject in the logical place in the photo so cropping for position wasn't necessary he was just too far away.  Cropping enlarged the subject, but I left the area to the right as empty background as it gives the viewer the feeling that he is looking out for his next meal, which is what he was doing at the time.

Although I try to think about position and framing the subject as I'm taking the photo, I will often take the time to experiment with cropping to see if there is an alternative "view" that I can create.

No comments:

Post a Comment