Thursday, December 17, 2009

Object in different positions in the frame

In this exercise the requirement was to find a subject that is clear and set within a large even background.

Living in the middle of Jakarta does not really five me very good options for this so I had to manufacture my subject and so I used some of the flowers from the garden.


















Picture 1:  This image certainly puts the subject right in your line of sight.  However as this is not a picture detailing symmetry or patterns, it seems that it is a little boring, and doesn't require the viewer to do anything.  It is easy to look quickly and dismiss it.


















Picture 2:  In this one, I moved it slightly off centre.  Here there is now a question that the viewer can ask.  Why is the subject not in the centre?



Picture 3:  Here I decided to try moving it off centre in a different direction to see if it created a different feeling than Pic 2.   Personally, I feel that it doesn't change the relationship with the background.



Picture 4: This is my preferred positioning.  The photo feels balanced even though there is a large area of empty space.  I have used this positioning before when cropping one of my images from safari in Tanzania in 2007.


Little Bee Eater - Tanzania 2007
Copyright Julian Adams






No comments:

Post a Comment